The Department of Management Studies is a result of the revolutionary process of growth of an idea floated in 1963. What was then a seed, gradually came to life and in 1974, IIT Delhi set up an internal committee to scrutinize the functioning of the management area in the institute. In 1975, an expert committee was setup to formally examine the possibility of launching this area in a more sustained fashion. The result was an M.Tech programme in “Management Systems” in the School for System Studies, (subsequently renamed School for Systems and Management Studies). The year 1978 saw the setting up of the Management Core Group and the core inputs to a full time Management Education at IIT(D) were reconfirmed by an Advisory Committee constituted by the representatives of the Academia and the industry. Since then, there has been no looking back. The School for Systems and Management Studies became the Centre for Systems and Management Studies. This was subsequently renamed as the Centre for Management Studies.
In 1993 the Department was brought into existence by amendment to IIT(D) statutes.
Clearly, the Department responds to a felt need of the Indian Industry and derives satisfaction from its heavy field orientation in all its curriculum activity. In response to the feedback from the students, alumni and industry, the Department of Management Studies launched MBA programmes in 1997.
The department currently runs a two year full time MBA programme with focus on Management Systems, a two year full time MBA with focus on Telecommunication Systems Management under the aegis of Bharti School of Telecom Technology and Management and a three year part time MBA programme with focus on Technology Management.
MBA program in IIT- Delhi is designed keeping in mind the changes in business environment and the need of the industry. Our academic program is comparable to the best that are available in the world class business schools for creating managers to face the new challenges of the ever changing market environment. The entire course aims at creating holistic managers trained by a very eminent faculty which is also supported by the experienced professionals as external faculty from India and abroad. The students are admitted through a rigorous screening process under JMET comprising of an admission test, group discussion and interview. The entry level qualification required for admission is either graduate engineers or Post Graduate in Science and Commerce with first class.
We therefore expect that our graduates will score much better in comparison to the graduates from other institutions in terms of their knowledge and skill to deliver superior performance. It is our constant endeavor to extend industry association and interaction to ensure further enrichment of academic content for the overall benefit of the industry, in particular and the society in general. We provide consulting support to all category of industries in the areas covering all functional areas of management and we are also engaged in research activities in various frontier areas of management. Currently we have over forty registered Ph.D. scholars doing research work on various management issues. We invite industries to come forward for meaningful collaborative efforts.
The faculty of the Department has been invited to various international activities and assignments in over two dozen countries ranging from Canada to Australia and from Japan to Mexico. The faculty has received prestigious fellowships from the Royal Asiatic Society London, ARTDO International Manila, All India Management Association Delhi, Indian Society for Training & Development Delhi and other major national and international professional associations.
Several faculty members of the Department have received awards for their papers, books and other contributions to the profession and industry.
The Department of Management Studies, IIT Delhi takes pride in following as its distinguishing features :
- A special focus on “Systems Thinking” and “Process Oriented” approach to learning.
- A special focus on Technology Management through the three year part time programme.
- A special focus on Telecom Systems Management through its two year full time programme.
- An emphasis on Entrepreneurship Development aimed at creating successful future Business ventures with the support of SIDBI and FITT .
- Excellent management research base with the highest number of Phd. Scholars in the country. The Department has produced 60 Phds. in the 25 years of its existence. The research work done at the DMS IIT Delhi has found place in many International and National Journals of repute.
- World class IT infrastructure with one of the highest Computer-to-student ratio. The students get hands on experience on proprietary software such as Baan ERP Package, Rational Rose Knowledge Management software etc.
- Association with IBM for training of the students on the latest software products and platforms.
Following are the areas and activities being planned to be accomplished in the near future at DMS IIT Delhi :
- Setting up a Business School within IIT system for which work has already been initiated and fund is being raised.
- Dual degree (B.Tech + MBA) programme within IIT. The proposal is now pending with concerned authority for approval.
- Collaboration with leading European and American Business Schools for collaborative research work, faculty and student exchange programme, running the management and executive development programme both in India and abroad. And for working together to provide joint academic programme with prospect of awarding dual degree.
- Introducing new management programme including :
- Agribusiness Management
- Environment Management
- D.C. Doctor of Chiropractic